Monday, November 14, 2011

Bead Challenge 2011

Well, I can finally post a picture of my Bead Challenge entry, which occupied most of my beading time for over a month. Every person that enters the contest is given an identical set of beads, and has to use all of them, plus whatever else they like, to make something with. This year's beads were silver and amethyst [http://www.beadsociety.com.au/challenge.html].
I nearly didn't do anything, because I was having trouble deciding on a design. Then I was poking around my beading stash and found the cabochon, which I bought at the Bead and Button Show in 2008. I had it in my head that it was pinker, but actually there are shades in the stone that exactly match the amethyst beads. Once I had the focal stone, the rest of the design fell into place. I must say the fringing was very tedious, and I think I will avoid doing that in future. The bead lace works well with the central pendant though, so I will do that again.
Lessons learnt: start early on a Challenge, especially if you're having trouble with inspiration. Get out everything in your stash that might be remotely suitable and try it all against the Challenge beads -  you never know what will strike a chord and give you ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment