Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Twin Bead Herringbone Bracelet

I like the new two-hole beads which have been coming out over the past year or so. Any excuse to try something different!
Herringbone is one of my favourite stitches, and I found a pattern for a mixed twin bead/seed bead herringbone on Patty Perline's blog here: http://pattyperline.blogspot.it/2013/06/superduo-herringbone-texture.html

Once you get past the first couple of rows, it's a very easy pattern to work with. My only suggestion would be to pick up two seed beads in the first row (ie one two-hole, two seed beads ...), but only stitch through the second of the seed beads in the next row. Without doing that, you get very loose tension in the first row, or a lot of thread showing. The second seed bead takes up the slack and the start row looks much better. When you get to the other end, do the same thing in reverse.

Here the bracelet I made using this technique. I have used alternating shiny and matte metallic purple two hole beads, with silvery-grey seed beads. The alternating matte and shiny produces a really interesting effect and gives an extra texture to the weave. This beadwork is very supple, almost as soft as fabric, and very comfortable to wear. I would possibly make it one or two rows shorter if I had a do-over, but that's a minor quibble. One more UFO finished!

Thank you Patty Perline!


No comments:

Post a Comment