Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Simple but effective

Sometimes a simple beading project can be very effective - it all depends on the colour choices and the quality of the finish. This little pin was actually made as a class sample. I taught the class at a monthly meeting for the Melbourne branch of the Bead Society of Victoria. The aim was to teach a simple bezelling technique and basic bead embroidery.


The central cabochon is African opal. I really like the mix of colours in the stone, especially the aqua blue. There are three rounds of graduated sized beads around the cab, and then a beaded border. This kind of project can be completed in a few hours, so it makes a great gift.


The back of the pin is faced with blue ultrasuede. The pin is actually a combined pin and bail, which I purchased from Kay's Artycles. It's a great idea, as it allows the owner to choose how to wear it. The simple design would be just as pretty on a necklace as it is as a brooch.

What did I learn from this project?

Firstly, the importance of taking good photos, as I used those for the class instructions.

Secondly, the need for a good description of requirements. One of my students - a beginner beader - took the requirements list to Spotlight ( a craft/home wares store) and of course the staff there had no idea what 15o seed beads were!

Next, it was a good lesson in colour theory, as I had to make up a few kits, and that was fun - trying to find beads that work together with the cabochons. I also found that I personally really like having an inner ring of metallic beads. For some reason that seems to be a nice finish to the project to me.

I enjoyed teaching this class, and most of my students finished their pin at some point over the next few months, so I guess they enjoyed themselves. My next class is going to be in herringbone techniques, which will be interesting. I'll have to get stuck into my class sample soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment